Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mickey Loves Better than I Do.

I ran across this picture at random on Pinterest:



This breaks my heart for two reasons.

Number one: What kind of a society are we living in that allows kids to know they are gay at such a young age when they don't really even understand the concept of love?
Number two: Why can Mickey agree to love her as is but why do Christians refuse and instead turn her away with condemnation and disgrace weighing her down?

Anyone else see the bigger issue here?
I could care less if this kid is gay or straight, but I couldn't care more that a random stranger who represents a figure well-known and loved by all agrees to love her all the same no matter what her choice may be. Are not Christians also to be representatives of a a figure well-known and (supposed to be) loved by all? No we don't carry the suit, but we each carry the Name. And, not only did Mickey agree with his words, he agreed with his actions by holding her close as if to seal the deal and let her know he truly meant what he said. How many times have our actions not co-aligned with our words?

Who are we to judge someone for a choice they are making based on what little information they know, most of which has not come from the Church for they know nothing of what a real church looks like, acts like, or loves like. With the worldview this child has, I can only imagine it would be an easy answer as to the question of how or why?

We are nowhere near as effective as we are called to be because we act out of malice and judgment rather than grace and love which is what Christ walked in--as did Mickey. Mickey refused to judge her for her choices because he understood that it was not in his place to judge, nor to call her wrong or refuse to love her any less. He simply saw a broken child who, I believe in her actions of choice, just wanted someone to love and to be accepted. Why should we allow the world to beat us to the finish line and make such a powerful impact that it reminds them of the love every time they see the picture or retain the memory. I bet when Mickey held her close that was probably one of the first times, definitely few times, this poor child truly felt loved, real, raw, unadulterated love. And as a result, every time she sees that picture she is taken back to that moment and re-encounters the overwhelming emotion of "somebody loves me for me."

And I can say that because I've struggled with finding my identity and that same true, raw love for years. Granted, no, I am not gay and never have experienced that-but several of my friends have. I even once witnessed a friend in High School--who was a Christian, mind you--confess to me that she had strong feelings for my best friend both of whom were girls. I can also say, sadly, I did not respond in love to the one struggling. Instead I tried to find how to "fix" her not realizing there was nothing wrong with her to begin with! Absolutely not a thing! She simply wanted to know people loved her for her, and was in an identity crisis, which translated to a rash action of changing preference in hopes of finding that love her heart so desperately desired. Thankfully she has found such a love in Jesus Christ-who gives the ultimate and purest form of love which satisfies every need and desire-and has been in a fantastic relationship with a young man who loves her very much and has for the past three years.

We need to stop shoving the laws in their faces and start opening our arms with a warm smile that reads, "Yes, I will love you as you are"--because who they are is hidden deep down inside and is waiting to break free after the identity theft is broken and the truth sets them free. On the flip side, we must also understand that sometimes it is a much deeper root issue than preference, it may be a stronghold which is something we must let the Holy Spirit work through to overcome. Regardless, we are not called to judge lest we be judged to the same degree we used by the Ultimate Judge, God.

We are called to love the sinners but hate the sin, for we were once sinners no better than the least or worst of these. Every sin is seen to the same degree in God's eyes, so don't think for a moment you are better than the murderers or rapists after saying a white lie. God sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for every sin and for all sinners and He alone has the power to judge. Yet He refuses because since Christ died to atone for our sins He no longer sees them. He simply loves the sinner, yet wishes to work with them to help them overcome their addictions and struggles to achieve victory in Him. So no, it's not okay to continue to walk in sin, but know that Christ is working with you and loving you as you work with Him.

My point with all this is pointing the finger never saved a life.
A hug however has, and does.
A harsh word stirs up anger, but a gentle answer turns away wrath.
A young 19 year old who was about to give up on life received one small revelation that she was loved and worth living which saved her life.
And now that same child is attending a Bible College to become a youth pastor because she wants to share the love of Christ with, what she believes, is the generation with the most potential but also with the most attacks of the Enemy.
I once sat outside by myself in the dark feeling alone, unloved, unworthy and void.
I wanted to take my life, and almost did on several occassions--heaven knows how many times the thoughts and ideas played like movies in my mind.
But then this guy, Jesus, came and rescued me. He saved me. And now we are on the most amazing journey where He is showing me who I really am, what my purpose is, and it's a fantastic walk even though trials and obstacles come.

Love saved my life.
It's time we allow it to move our hearts to the lost so we too can save others as we were once saved.


-Saint

No comments:

Post a Comment