Monday, December 28, 2015

I Learned (A Very Long List): Reviewing 2015

Things I learned in 2015:
I learned it's okay to be single, but it's never good to be alone. 
I learned as much as I like having a big bed to myself, I like the feeling of someone's arms holding me close and having their feet keep mine warm better.
I learned good things truly do come to those who wait, and rewards are far more satisfying when they are received after determining to wait.
I learned that it's okay to change your career path 1,001 times.
I learned that as long as God is in charge there is no such thing as choosing a path too late. 
I learned to let go a little more of the self-inflicting blame game and finally accepted the truth that there are some things that happened to me, that were completely out of my control, that weren't my fault. 
I learned that it's okay to go against the status quo in society as well as in Church.
I learned I'm okay not being skinny.
I learned I kinda prefer myself with glasses than with contacts.
I furthered my learning in how to love sinners regardless of the sin.
I learned gay people, though different than me, are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to know.
I learned America struggles deeper with racism than we are willing to admit.
I learned further how to see the color of One's heart not the color of their skin. 
I learned love heals all things, but hate is a strong poison to fight. 
I learned it's okay to let some friendships go. 
I learned I don't like the way some Christians reflect Jesus.
I learned to be careful I don't end up becoming like those Christian hypocrites I can't stand. 
I learned what I don't like in someone else is often something I secretly don't like within myself.
I learned I don't want to be like other people, because they don't bring the same joy I get when I genuinely act like myself.
I learned I don't pray enough or read my Bible enough, but it's not about how much you pray or read, it's about your heart.
I learned Dr. Lindsay was right, it's always about a heart issue.
I learned I have more of a heart for Muslims than I realized. 
I realized I don't like when I'm stereotyped and thrown with hateful Christians for my beliefs, neither should I stereotype Muslims with good intentions for Muslim terrorists. 
I learned I don't talk to my family as much as I should, and I've tried to be better. But even if I cannot, I've learned it's okay, because I am still a good daughter, and a good sister. 
I learned you can't do anything without money.
I also learned it is truly God, not man, who give me money.
I learned it's okay to want nice things.
I learned it's okay to have nice things.
I leaned it's okay to make good money, but sometimes it's better to have no money.
I learned a husband, when a marriage is truly United with God, does not compete with the placement of God being first, but rather fulfills it in showing me a physical side of God's love and character I could never know before.
I learned sex is a beautiful, God thing that should not be shamed or become a taboo topic in the Church.
I learned it's okay to drink alcohol, as long as you don't get drunk or use it as a dependency crutch. 
I learned I like wearing dresses--once in a blue moon.
I learned I can drive 13 hours in one day across three states.
I learned I'm not as good at driving as I thought. 
I'm learning the importance of eating healthy and working out.
I learned how to survive a tornado.
I learned more about me, and that me is a bit of a huge dork.
I learned I'm happiest when I'm in dork mode.
I learned Rhys (my husband) is happiest when I'm in dork mode.
I learned I don't want to be a youth pastor anymore.
I learned I want to be a mentor to the youth, but do so in a brand new way that's never been done before.
I learned that to pioneer a new path is one of the hardest things I've ever done.
I'm learning the hardest things are rewarding for me, but not as much as it will be for those to come. 
I'm learning to follow God even when I want to quit.
I'm learning it's okay to be human, and to wrestle with apathy.
I'm learning it's okay to have apathetic moments, but never have an apathetic life. 
I'm learning it's okay to have doubts, they challenge my faith and strengthen it.
I'm learning to give money is to give joy.
I'm learning how to trust Jesus more, especially in the unknown and with money.
I'm learning the tithing concept is legit. 
I'm learning life doesn't get any easier as you get older.
But above all else, I'm learning life is determined by the choices we make based (sometimes) on the choices we made.

And so, as 2016 nears, I pray for that new year I simply learn to choose wisely.

-Saint






No comments:

Post a Comment