Friday, November 2, 2012

Freedom is for Those Who Lose.


Freedom only comes to those who are willing to fight, to sacrifice, and to lose. 
No one ever became free by wishing on a star.
No one ever became free by begging.
No one ever became free for free.

But Christ has given us freedom.
Because he fought for us.
Because he gave himself, the perfect firstborn Lamb, as a willing sacrifice.
Because he lost everything by giving up His rights as God the omniscient to save sinful, selfish mankind.

In our freely given freedom, there is a cost. The ultimate cost of life.
To follow Christ you must count the cost.
You will lose your life.
You will lose your rights.
You may have to sacrifice everything.
But it's worth it, it's so, so, so worth it.
Because Jesus Christ is worthy.

As a sinful, selfish human, I mess up at least one hundred times a day. (And that's on a good day.)
I struggle daily with pride (perfectionism), unholy speech (being sarcastic), stealing (not tithing to a church), rebellion (doing what I want, not what I am told by authority), and a whole slew of other sins.
But I know a forgiving Father, a good Daddy, who forgives me of all of my sins every minute of everyday and casts them from me as far as the East is from the West.
He disciplines me when I have wronged, but then lifts me up in arms of love and grace.
Yes, I have a good Daddy.

I also have a jealous Lover.
He protects me from all dangers, especially the desires of my flesh.
He knows what is best for me.
He saves me from the dragons, the ogres, the beasts of the fields and creatures of the seas.
He laid his life down so I could live mine.
He demands all of my time, but makes every moment spent with Him worth it.
He makes me feel like a Bride even on my worst days.
Yes, I have a jealous Lover.

I have a mighty Master.
My Master says I can only serve Him alone, and cannot have anyone above His place.
But I am rewarded for my works and duties which bring Him glory, honor and praise.
I toil at the harvest for days, months, years, but always am rewarded with good fruit.
I give until there's nothing left to give, and find my cup overflowing to give more.
Yes, I have a mighty Master.

In all these things, my good Daddy, jealous Lover, and mighty Master bless me with unworthy gifts. It is in all these things that I freedom. It is in all these things that I am called blessed. It is through this mighty, loving, Abba Father that I find myself in the "Glory Days." I am not worthy to be used as such an instrument of miracles, yet He still chooses to do so.

Because He first loved me, and in that Love He gives us freedom...He gives us Joy.


May each of you experience this Joy.
Unspeakable, unfathomable yet obtainable, Joy...

No comments:

Post a Comment